Skip to main content

How do foreign adoptive parents of R.O.C. citizen children file for termination of adoptive relationship?

(I) Application Process

1. The adoptive parents must apply through the childs district Civil Administration Office.
2. When the adopting parents are unable to apply in person, they may appoint a representative by power of attorney (power of attorney established abroad must be notarized by a R.O.C. embassy/consulate/trade office); that person with power of attorney must be approved by jurisdictional Civil Administration Office.
3. The child shall revert to his/her birth name; the full names of the adoptive parent shall be deregistered.

(II) Required Documentation

1. Applicants identification and seal (or signature).
2. The childs household registry and R.O.C. identification (except in cases Where R.O.C. ID has not been issued).
3. Legal documentation certifying termination of adoption which is recognized by R.O.C. and foreign laws. (Those filing abroad must have documentation notarized by a R.O.C. embassy/consulate/trade office.)