Skip to main content

How do parents of a child born legitimately to a R.O.C. national father and a foreign national mother file the childs household registration?

(I) Application Process

1. Child born in the R.O.C.
(1) Either parent may apply through the fathers district Civil Administration Office.
(2) When adopting parent is not able to apply in person, s/he may appoint a representative by power of attorney (power of attorney established abroad must be notarized by a R.O.C. embassy/consulate/trade office).

2. Child born Abroad
(1) If the child is younger than 12 and entering the R.O.C. using a R.O.C. Passport, entry permit or foreign passport, and the if the mother has legal residency status in Taiwan, the mother may apply for permanent residency for the child and, with that, apply for household registration.
(2) If the child is older than 12,application for permanent residency and household registration must be filed in accordance with Articles 5,6,9 and 11 of the "Regulation for Household Registration and Registration for R.O.C. Nationals Remaining for Short and Long Term".

(II) Required Documents

1. Child born in the R.O.C.
(1) Applicants identification and seal (or signature).
(2) Fathers household registration.
(3) Original of birth certificate.

2.Child born abroad
(1) Application for residency (plus three photographs).
(2) Copy of transient residency registration.
(3) Original identification from country of residency prior to arrival in Taiwan.
(4) Original of birth certificate notarized by R.O.C. embassy/consulate/trade office.
(5) Original of R.O.C. or foreign passport with entrance permit stamp documenting arrival in the R.O.C. via plane or ship.
(6) Fathers household registry.